Miami Boat Accident Lawyer
Miami is Florida’s playground, drawing locals and tourists to its sun-drenched beaches. There is no shortage of water activities and sports, from boating to jet skis. Although Miami feels like paradise, a significant boating accident can turn a fun-filled day on the water into a nightmare.
At Redemption Law, our legal team understands the devastating toll a boating accident can have on your life. While coping with traumatic injuries, you may also face significant financial hardships.
Pursuing the compensation you deserve from an insurance company or careless boater can be challenging. Seeking the money you need to heal from your injuries can take the help of a dedicated and tenacious Miami boat accident attorney.
Did a Miami boating accident injure you? Speak to a skilled Miami boat accident attorney at Redemption Law for help. Our legal team takes the time to get to know you and your unique legal situation. We outline your legal options and can craft a strategy that offers you the best chance at seeking the compensation you deserve.
Do not navigate this process alone. Contact Redemption Law today to find out how our Miami boat accident lawyer could help you. We offer a free consultation in person or by phone. If we don’t win, you don’t pay, so you have nothing to lose. Reach out to our office today.
Table of Contents
Why Hire Our Miami Boat Accident Attorneys?
Why do you need to hire a Miami boat accident attorney after a collision? The answer is simple. Our experienced Miami boat accident attorneys can protect your rights and help you pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
An attorney doesn’t just prepare a case for trial. An attorney is a powerful advocate for you while navigating the insurance claim process. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses. They want to keep payouts low and profit margins high. It is seldom in your best interest to accept their initial offer.
An attorney can collect evidence and build a robust case in your favor to help you seek a fair settlement. A lawyer can negotiate aggressively on your behalf and manage communication between you and the insurer. What happens if an insurance company doesn’t work with you in good faith? Your attorney can prepare a court case.
Your lawyer will always inform you of what is happening in your case. Your attorney focuses on one goal, getting you the money you need to heal from your injuries and move forward with your life. Hiring an experienced Miami boat accident attorney will significantly increase your chances of getting the best possible outcome in your case.
Miami Boating Accident Statistics
It should be no surprise that Florida has one of the highest numbers of registered vessels in the nation. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has registered 1,013,211 watercraft. Unfortunately, local news reports indicate that Florida also leads the nation in the number of boating accidents and fatalities. In one recent year, the FWC recorded 751 accidents on Florida waterways. Most of those accidents occurred in the Miami area.
Among the number of reportable boating accidents in Florida that year, there were 60 boating-related fatalities. Boating accidents injured at least 469 people. The leading cause of death was drowning, with 55 percent of fatalities that year involving an individual drowning.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents in Miami
The beautiful waters off the coast of Miami can be deceiving. Although the waves may look calm and inviting, there can be numerous dangers.
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents on Miami’s waterways include:
- Drunk boating accidents. Statistics from the U.S. Coast Guard indicate that alcohol is the leading contributing factor in Florida’s fatal boating accidents, accounting for nearly one-quarter of boating deaths. Alcohol impairs judgment, vision, motor skills, and coordination, all of which are essential to the safe operation of a boat.
- Collisions with submerged objects. You cannot always see what lies beneath Miami’s pristine waves. Boaters should exercise caution to avoid collisions with underwater objects or submerged vessels.
- Being struck by a boat while in the water. Boats and watercraft aren’t the only objects in the water. Water skiers, swimmers, and surfers enjoy basking in Miami’s waves. Boaters unaware of their surroundings can strike individuals in the water with their watercraft, causing devastating injuries.
- Propeller accidents. Propeller accidents can be catastrophic. Use caution near propellers when in and out of the water. The powerful blades of a boat’s propeller can rip and tear flesh, leading to traumatic and life-threatening injuries.
- Capsizing. It doesn’t take a storm to capsize a vessel. A boat can capsize even in relatively calm waters. Boat operators should always exercise caution in the water regardless of the weather.
- Falling overboard. Hitting the open water can be fun. However, boat operators must ensure their passengers are safe. Everyone on board should wear a life preserver, avoid excess alcohol, and steer clear of horseplay on deck.
- Running aground. Boaters should always be aware of their surroundings and read the signs out on the water to avoid grounding their vessels. Always launch your boat from a designated boat ramp or launching area to decrease the chances of running aground.
- Unsafe operation of a boat or watercraft. Careless operation of a watercraft is one of the leading causes of Miami boat accidents. Boat operators should avoid distractions and focus on maintaining control of their vessels.
- Overcrowded waters. Miami waters are hot spots, and you may run into crowds. Crowded waters mean more boaters, more swimmers, and more chances for accidents.
- Boat operator inexperience. Just as inexperienced drivers are more prone to causing car accidents, inexperienced boaters are more likely to cause boat crashes. Those with little to no experience navigating a boat can cause significant collisions.
- Defective boat parts or equipment. Human error is not a factor in all boating accidents. Some accidents may be the result of defective boating parts or equipment. Malfunctioning equipment can result from mistakes on the production line or flawed design mechanics.
Types of Injuries Common in Miami Boating Accidents
Boat accidents can cause a wide range of traumatic injuries. Propeller accidents can sever limbs and tear flesh, while collisions between two vessels can lead to traumatic brain injuries and broken bones.
Some of the most common types of injuries associated with boat accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Drowning or near-drowning
Significant boat accident injuries can also lead to mental health conditions like depression and anxiety. Some people may also experience symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Florida Boating Laws
Before you hit the water, you must make yourself aware of Florida’s numerous boating laws. These laws are in place to protect you and others while enjoying the state’s many waterways.
In Florida, there is no minimum age to operate a boat. However, anyone born on or after January 1, 1998, must pass an approved boater safety course. Additionally, boat operators must hold a valid photo ID and a boating safety education card while operating a watercraft. Boaters must register vessels with the state except for non-motor powered crafts less than 16 feet in length.
Boat operators involved in accidents that cause injuries, death, or damage of at least $2,000 must report the accident to local authorities or the FWC as soon as possible. Boat operators involved in serious accidents cannot leave the scene. They must offer aid to the injured and contact authorities immediately.
Those convicted of two non-criminal boating safety violations in 12 months must enroll in a State of Florida-approved boater education course. Boaters convicted of state violations associated with a significant accident must complete a boater education course and a safe boating course for violators before regaining their boating privileges.
Boat operators may face charges of boating under the influence (BUI) if they have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or greater. Individuals can also receive a BUI if it is apparent that drugs or alcohol impair normal faculties. BUI penalties can be severe depending on the number of previous BUI infractions on a person’s record. A BUI conviction can result in significant fines and in some cases, prison time.
The FWC offers boaters a comprehensive list of Florida’s boating regulations, which the FWC updates annually.
Compensation for a Miami Boating Accident
Following a significant boating accident caused by a careless boater, you may be able to seek compensation for your financial and personal losses. The value of your claim depends on the unique circumstances of your situation.
However, in general, you may pursue financial relief for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
At Redemption Law, we don’t take a cookie-cutter approach to estimating the value of your claim. We work with you to isolate the specific factors that can affect your claim. Our legal team fights for you, seeking fair compensation for your injuries. Whether through an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit, our team can help you pursue maximum compensation for your losses and move forward with your life.
Statute of Limitations on Boat Accident Lawsuits
You might find that the best way to seek the compensation you deserve after a boat accident is to file a lawsuit against an at-fault party. However, the statute of limitations imposes a deadline for filing lawsuits.
In Florida, you have four years from the date of the boat accident to seek compensation from a suit. Filing a lawsuit after the deadline generally results in a dismissal, meaning you lose your right to pursue compensation in civil court. Although the statute of limitations does not bind insurance claims, you could lose leverage during negotiations with the insurance company if you cannot threaten a lawsuit.
Talking to an attorney early in the legal process gives you the best opportunity to seek the money you need. An attorney can manage significant legal deadlines and keep your case on track.
How Can a Miami Boat Accident Attorney Help?
Many people think they can manage a boat accident claim on their own. Unfortunately, boat accident claims can quickly become complicated. Insurance companies are rarely interested in offering you the money you need, instead focusing on ways they can keep payouts to a minimum to protect profits. An attorney can advocate for your rights and negotiate with insurers to help you pursue the maximum compensation.
At Redemption Law, our legal team can offer you the support you need while aggressively pursuing all avenues for building a strong claim.
Our Miami boat accident lawyers can:
- Investigate the cause of the accident
- Gather crucial evidence to support your claim
- Help you file the necessary claim paperwork
- Manage communication between you and an insurer
- Negotiate for maximum compensation
- Prepare a court case if necessary
You don’t have to burden yourself with the details of a potentially time-consuming and complicated claim. Having an attorney on your side means you have the time and space to focus on yourself and your recovery.
Contact a Miami Boat Accident Attorney at Redemption Law Now
Pursuing the compensation you deserve after a boating accident can be challenging. You may be unable to work and staring down mountains of medical bills. An attorney can be instrumental in helping you seek the financial relief you need to move forward with your life. Reach out to a personal injury lawyer.
At Redemption Law, our team has a long track record of assisting boat accident victims. We understand the unique challenges that boat accident victims face and know how to overcome those difficulties.
Did you or someone you love get hurt in a boating accident? Do not hesitate to contact Redemption Law at (305) 465-3425. Our skilled Miami boat accident attorneys can review your case and discuss your legal options openly and transparently. Contact our office today to set up a free and confidential case review. We want to help you make it right.
“Outstanding staff, very professional & dedicated to their clients. They do not rest until they have won your case! Thank you Redemption law” – Vivian P.
Read more of our Google reviews!
14361 Commerce Way Suite 307
Miami Lakes, FL 33016